Wednesday, May 1, 2019

A Fear of the Unknown


As soon as I looked Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind to start reading it and about it, I knew exactly what it was from when we watched it in class. I wasn’t able to read this one that week and I got to it a few weeks later, but the story is so unique and interesting that it was very easy to connect the two. I really enjoy stories that have a world that is created so well that I can imagine myself in it, as if it is tangible and I could book a flight to it next week. 
The characters and plot in this manga are so deep and well developed. I’m glad I watched the movie first because it was nice to enjoy that before I read the much better book version. The characters are so well rounded with personal histories and complex motivations that it’s hard not to feel like they’re real. I guess what makes this world so believable is how well balanced I feel as the reader even though what the story is about is constantly changing. It’s a puzzle, but it never feels as though it hasn’t been solved by the creator. 
As I am constantly surrounded by post- apocalyptic Earth stories, it can be hard to wade through all of the garbage, but this story presented itself without question. Nausicaa, the main princess and heroine, is an intriguing character to absorb as she is a bridge between civilization and the toxic forest. It makes me think past what is instantly viewed as bad just because it is bad to me. The forest is beautiful, it is its own ecosystem, existing without humans, and potentially harmful to humans. Instantly making it a threat and negative, despite the amazing creatures that exist within it. (Shout out to the representation of characters in this manga).


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hetalia

I actually remember seeing this in middle school. I remember not really liking it then, but everyone else was laughing at it, so...