Thursday, May 2, 2019

Made in Abyss


The art for this is so, so cute. But the contrast between the art and the bloody scene I saw in class was so strange, I couldn’t look away. Based on what I first saw I would never have guessed that the content would be as so. Anyway, very interesting concept; an abyss with layers and the deeper you go, the less chance you have of survival. In relation to life; the further/harder you have to reach for something, the bigger the risk. The only problem I encountered with the manga as opposed to what I saw of the anime (could be an issue there too, I’m not sure) was the embrace of sexualizing children. Weird. I want to compare this to Of the Valley of the Wind in how deep the creation of a new world unknown to us can be through the mind of one or several people. The imagery of the setting, whether it be the happy, sunshine-y above ground hiding the secrets below, or the dark and gritty layers of the abyss is so well done and pleasing to look at. The characters are entirely too cute for their own good. And then you mash everything up with dark content and graphic instances and the contrast is perfect, keeping me interested. This is another I would enjoy continuing on with.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hetalia

I actually remember seeing this in middle school. I remember not really liking it then, but everyone else was laughing at it, so...