Thursday, May 2, 2019

Gender Bender Anime and Manga


It’s refreshing to see a straight person portrayed as someone wearing what is considered the opposite gender’s clothes rather than just a person wearing those clothes because they identify as transgender. As in, it’s nice to see an embrace of people wearing whatever clothes they feel most comfortable in without embracing the assumed sexuality or genitals that come with wearing those clothes. It is especially nice to see a straight male openly preferring to wear female clothing because it does happen and I’m sure people who fall in that category enjoy representation as much as the rest of us.
Princess Jellyfish has a straight male character who enjoys wearing dresses. I’m not sure how much I agree with this interest being portrayed as a result of his abandonment issues with his mother, but it’s nice to see nonetheless. We live in a society where the definition of gender and of sexuality is constantly morphing and broadening. I can’t say I understand all of it, but as a person who supports people being whatever they want to be as long as they aren’t harming themselves or anyone else, I like seeing media that embraces different groups of people without portraying them in a negative light.
On a subject change, the art from Princess Jellyfish is very nostalgic to me in the way that it reminds me of Barbie. The thin, dainty lines, the elaborate, pretty dresses, the long, flowing hair with impossible mass. I don’t know if these are characteristics of josei, but I enjoy it.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hetalia

I actually remember seeing this in middle school. I remember not really liking it then, but everyone else was laughing at it, so...