Wednesday, May 1, 2019

A Very Different Kind of Manga


AX: Alternative Manga
A collection of stories that by the covers alone are all completely different from one another and completely different from what I’ve seen so far; the stories in Alternative Manga are definitely strange and underground in nature. Over thirty stories (all of which I have not yet read but have looked through) of what are referred to as experimental comics. I’m not sure how I feel about them. There is a lot of symbolism in the stories, and a lot of lack of depth in plot. They don’t seem as if they’re meant to be connected to realistically, but they received an emotional response to the odd art, which I can say I enjoyed just from an artist’s perspective. I’m assuming a lot of the content is meant to be metaphoric and get you to think if you want to twist your brain around a bit. Some of my favorite art included depictions of characters that were elongated way beyond what is actually possible, making the characters a little hard to look at but so, so interesting.
On a side note, as a person who came into this class without much experience in absorbing anime and manga, I knew that erotic anime and manga existed, but I guess I always viewed it as a children’s or teenager’s hobby. It’s intriguing to read and see these pieces that definitely are not meant for children.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hetalia

I actually remember seeing this in middle school. I remember not really liking it then, but everyone else was laughing at it, so...